Winter at 2,222 m
As the days become shorter, smoke rises from the chimney and snowflakes dance around your face, the Riffelalp becomes a true winter fairytale and exudes romanticism. Remoteness, clear starry skies and cosy nights - here time seems to slow down. Relax and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere. Whether you want to go skiing, tobogganing or if you prefer to explore our winter landscape by foot, winter in Zermatt has something to offer. The exceptional mountain environment is directly in front of the door. In the evening, sit back with a glass of good wine and enjoy the warmth of the fireplace as you recharge your batteries.
Yann, our ski and hiking guide
Yann, our guide will take you in winter snowshoeing, heliskiing, freeriding on glaciers or skitrips on 4 days a week (included in your room rate).
There may be modifications due to weather and snow conditions.
Equipment rental on spot.
Outdoor activities from Riffelalp
- Ski and snowbaording "Ski-in / ski-out"
- On tour with our ski guide (included in the room rate)
- Winter hiking
- Snowshoe walking
- Sledging at Rotenboden
In winter Bayard-Sports is conveniently located in our building; here you can rent skis, snowboards and other equipment (for hotel guests only).
Ski and snowboard
In Zermatt you can experience perfect ski days with many kilometres of slopes, cross-border runs, a lot of sun and fantastic snow. 360 kilometres of slopes in the international ski domain offer wonderful views, as well as atmosphere, culture and superior gastronomy. For skiers and snowboarders, in the winter season the Riffelalp is a dream. A more perfect ski-in, ski-out location hardly exists, as the ski slopes go directly past the hotel. Forget shuttle buses and long queues; just step onto your skis at the front door and off you go. Our own ski shop can help you with questions about sports equipment and our guide, Yann, is on hand to point you in the direction of the best slopes and the best ski lodges.
Ski schools in Zermatt
We recommend you book ski schools and private instructors early. You can do this when you reserve your accommodation.
Ski schools in Zermatt
The winter hiking paths in and around Zermatt offer fantastic views and lead to historic hamlets with sun-drenched viewing terraces. As a nice reward after enjoying the exercise in the fresh winter air, make your way to a cosy mountain restaurant. Relaxation and enjoyment guaranteed.
It's not all about skiing. If you want to experience winter at its best, strap on a pair of snow shoes and set out on a snow shoe hike. The sign-posted snow shoe trails at Gornergrat offer the finest views of the Matterhorn, far from the hustle and bustle of the ski slopes.
Tobogganing at Rotenboden
A rapid descent on a toboggan gets the adrenalin flowing and is pure fun for the young and old. Shrieks of joy, zest for life and thrills. On the highest toboggan slope in the Alps, tobogganists conquer the 234 metres from Rotenboden to Riffelberg, with the mountain of mountains always in front of them.
Robogganing at Rotenboden
- Curling in Zermatt : since Scottish guests in the 1920s brought granite stones with them in their luggage because they didn't want to miss their curling habits in front of the Matterhorn, curling has been a tradition in Zermatt.
- Paragliding : Take off and glide. Float in the air and circle above glaciers, trees and Zermatt. With a tandem glider and an experienced pilot, you can feel like the king of the skies. Happiness included!
- Heli-skiing : Glide above pristine slopes and make the first tracks in the powder snow. With the helicopter, freeriders reach the starting point of their dreams and local mountain guides lead you safely to the best powder runs.
- Helicopter round trip - Air Zermatt : Make your dreams come true with a round trip around the Matterhorn. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.